All Family Law, All Around the WorldSM

Protecting Parental Rights When Travelling Abroad With Children

Because of the increasing rates of international child abduction, there are numerous restrictions when it comes to traveling with minor children. Without the proper documentation and authorization in hand, you may be prohibited from travel, or even face kidnapping charges. At The Manely Firm, P.C., our international family law attorneys are well-versed and experienced in international family law, and we can help you ensure that all the proper documentation is in place before your next trip.

If your minor child is traveling with only one birth parent, it is important to remember the following:

  • If both of the parents are alive, the traveling parent must have authorization from the non-traveling parent to go out of the country with the child.
  • If one of the parents is deceased, the living parent must carry a certified copy of the death certificate and citizenship documentation for the child.
  • If another party has legal guardianship over the child, they must carry a certified copy of the guardianship papers and citizenship documentation for the child.
  • If the child is traveling with a party other than their parents, they must have notarized consent from each parent.

We Have The Knowledge And Extensive Experience To Effectively Help You

In addition to helping you prepare for a smooth and hassle-free trip with your children, we also help clients in other situations, including those where they suspect an ex-spouse is about to kidnap their children and flee across international borders. From identifying resources that can prevent such actions from occurring to getting law enforcement involved to taking legal recourse after the fact, we know what it takes to effectively assist you. In fact, our attorney, Michael E. Manely, is the only family lawyer in the United States to secure a unanimous decision for his client from the U.S. Supreme Court, and has also successfully argued for a U.S. citizen before the Supreme Court of Costa Rica.

Get Protection Under The Law With Our Help

Whether you’re a parent looking to travel with your minor children while staying within the limits of a child custody agreement or need to get your child back after your ex-spouse has fled to another country, the skilled attorneys at The Manely Firm, P.C., are here for you.

To schedule an initial consultation, call 866-687-8561 or contact us online. We conveniently have offices throughout Georgia in Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrenceville and Savannah.

Languages We Speak






ქართული ენა