All Family Law, All Around the WorldSM

Helping Georgians Transfer Family Judgments To And From Other States

In our fairly transient culture, it is not uncommon for individuals to go through a divorce in one state and then relocate to another. There may be better opportunities in other states, family members who could offer support, or moving to another state may just be a good option for moving forward with their lives.

Whatever the reason may be, when this happens one or both ex-spouses may be faced with the problem of enforcing their divorce terms in a different state. This is where the Domestication of Foreign Judgments comes in.

Domestication of Foreign Judgments refers to transferring the orders of one state to another. While this concept can also apply to transfers between countries, the procedure becomes more complex in such cases.

Why domestic a foreign order?

Generally, if an obligated party moves to a new state, it is not a bad idea to domesticate the order of child support, for example, in that new state. Doing so can greatly expedite any collection efforts. If both parties involved in the case relocate from the original state, it is generally advisable to domesticate the judgment in the state where the obligated party now resides.

As an illustration, let’s say you obtained a divorce in Alabama, and as part of the divorce decree, your ex-spouse was ordered to pay $400 per month in child support. However, both you and your ex-spouse have since relocated to Georgia, and your ex-spouse has stopped making the required payments. For the Georgia courts to acknowledge and enforce the child support order issued in Alabama, it is necessary to go through the process of domesticating the Alabama decree.

The skilled attorneys at The Manely Firm have considerable experience with this complex area of family law, and can thoroughly assist you in this matter. We’ve helped families all over the Atlanta Metro, Georgia, and even internationally.

What Is The Process Of Getting Domestication Of Foreign Judgments?

The first step in domesticating a judgment or order from another state is to obtain a certified copy of that judgment or order. After an action is filed in the new state seeking domestication of the judgment or order, the obligated party must receive notice in a form approved by the new state. In Georgia, we usually require personal service to ensure that due process requirements are satisfied.

Domesticating a judgment does not need to be complicated. More often than not, it is a process of ensuring that the I’s are dotted and the T’s crossed rather than laying the groundwork for an elaborate strategy.

Why You Need a Family Law Attorney for Domestication of Foreign Judgments

When it comes to the domestication of foreign judgments, seeking the assistance of an experienced international family law attorney is crucial. The process of domesticating a foreign judgment involves complex legal procedures and requirements that vary from country to country. An attorney well-versed in international family law understands the intricacies and challenges involved in navigating different legal systems and jurisdictions.

Filing paperwork that is inappropriate or incomplete can also have detrimental effects on your rights. Working with a family law attorney will ensure that the documents you submit are accurate and thorough.

International family law attorneys possess the knowledge and expertise to guide you through the entire process, ensuring compliance with all necessary legal formalities and effectively advocating for your rights and interests. With their deep understanding of international laws and regulations, an experienced attorney can provide invaluable support, protect your rights, and help you achieve a successful domestication of the foreign judgment in the desired jurisdiction.

Want to learn more? Talk to us.

If you have questions about domesticating a judgment or would like our help with this legal process, contact The Manely Firm, P.C., to schedule an initial consultation with one of our highly experienced family lawyers. Appointments are available at any of our Georgia offices. Call 866-687-8561 or send us a message online.

Languages We Speak






ქართული ენა