The Divorce Process: What You Can Expect
Divorce is often one of the most complex and confusing experiences that a family may have, and every case is different. The duration and results of divorce will depend on your specific circumstances. That is why getting customized legal advice is important.
The Manely Firm, P.C., is ready to clarify difficult divorce issues, letting you focus on the rest of your life. Our highly experienced attorneys can give you personalized advice for the Georgia divorce process.
Divorce Follows Multiple Key Phases
The typical divorce timeline flows through several phases, which each have special purposes, including:
- Initial planning: Before filing any paperwork, you have a chance to assess your situation with a lawyer. You can gather a broad overview of your finances and other factors, using them as a starting point to develop a goal-oriented strategy.
- Filing of divorce petition: The divorce process formally begins when you file a petition with the court and provide a notice to the other spouse. The other party has 30 days to respond to the petition.
- Discovery and temporary hearings: Both parties disclose and examine the fine details of legal, financial and personal topics. This step allows both spouses to be on the same page when deciding terms in the later phases. It can also reveal issues that call for a motion or temporary hearing to resolve. Our attorneys are vigilant to ensure that this process is fair.
- Alternative dispute resolution: Often, divorcing couples may avoid court through negotiation or mediation. We give our clients thorough counsel for the value of property, possible risks and solutions so that they can settle with confidence.
- Divorce trial: When a settlement is not possible, litigation can help resolve the issues on which the parties cannot agree. Our trial attorneys strongly advocate for our clients’ needs.
Some of the factors that can change the process include international divorce, division of a business and other complex subjects. At each step of the process, we will build a clear, thorough strategy to protect your interests. Based on your objectives, our team will prioritize the issues that matter most to you.